Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Why I'm Marz


I selected the name "Marz" because it is short for "Marzalvane."

I selected Volpots because it sounded European. It also refers to "volume pots," which are under the knobs on a guitar one turns up all the way in order to sound extra good. I think the technical term is "variable resistor." Marz Variable or Marz Resistor are both good names, too. For now I'll stick with Volpots.

I suppose you might be wondering why I would require a fictitious name. Sometimes I joke that it might keep me from getting fired. That's probably true. The other thing, though, is that I have the same name as a very famous celebrity. Although I am older, he has trademarked it. Someone else trademarked my name. I am allowed to use it - for non-commercial purposes. But if I open a restaraunt with my name on it and it is successful, then I owe the person who owns my name a piece of the action.

So I think its best for me to get used to being someone else. It's actually quite liberating. David Bowie had Ziggy Stardust and the Thin White Duke; I've got Marz Volpots, progenitor of the avant-cubicle music movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment