Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Good Day to be Elsewhere and an Unsolved Mystery

It was cold and gloomy this morning. According to my thermometer, it was -6 degrees at 7:00 am, and I have no reason to disbelieve the data.

I got to thinking I would rather be somewhere else, so I started perusing photos for a happier warmer place to think about.

That's when I happened by the adjacent photo. The photo was taken last summer on a warm August day with a marvelous blue sky. What struck me, however, was how the photo reminded me of an ongoing mystery. It was the mystery of the corn.

Behind the house - on the southeast corner, to be precise, we have a group of bird feeders. We put out sunflower seeds, niger thistle, an extravagant blend of seeds and nuts, and suet. I also like to put out some corn cobs.

Usually the corn cobs are found near the feeders, stripped of corn. But last August, over a period of about a week, we found corn cobs in the strangest of places. They turned up in trees, in a mailbox, out in the front yard, and up on the roof.

Not only is the corn cob in the photo up on the roof, but the corn is intact. How the corn got up there was a matter of some speculation, but it remains a mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment