Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Greetings from Marz

Hi, I'm Marz.

That's Dan on the left, Marz on the right.

We play music in parking lots.

We're currently gearing up for next summer's parking lot concert series. We'll be joined by guitarist Terry and drummer Mitch. We're also wishing for a bass player.

We'll probably book ourselves as The Captain Cook Society. That moniker has been around for a few years. We might be The Pocket Protectors. There's also an outside chance we might be called, "Roll the Giant Freezer." There was going to be a funny story about the giant freezer, but then it snowed and a truck came, and the Giant Freezer Roll never happened.

I wasn't going to be there for it anyway. It does seem like a pretty good band name, though.

Yes, I believe it is possible to maintain one's artistic integrity performing cover tunes in parking lots.

It's true, years ago I would have had my doubts. But now, with ASCAP and BMI overturning every last live music venue with thundering h0ards of vicious barristers, demanding general performance payments to be gluttonously consumed by the corporate elite...well, I believe playing folk rock songs in parking lots has regained its political cachet. Singing Mr. Tambourine Man has become an act of outright defiance in the face of the screeching boars intent upon consuming the last dying echoes of American folk culture into the fetid rotting corpse of intellectual property. You have to deprive people of their culture if you want to sell it back to them. So we're stealing it back.

Besides, people seem to enjoy it.

And sometimes we're paid in meat.

2 comments:

  1. I see that "first commenter" thing on other blogs and think "Wow, you really did something with your life today...good for you!"

    My next comment is: Dude, it's kinda hard to comment...at least with my un-given name. Roll the Giant Freezer reminds me of Toad the Wet Sprocket. One could name anything cool following that Mad-Lib-like convention. (Verb) the (Adjective) (Noun). I learned something new today. This should be fun.

    ReplyDelete